Jeremy Corbyn's friend
"Civilization is not self-supporting. It is artificial. If you are not prepared to concern yourself with the upholding of civilization -- you are done." (Ortega y Gasset)
No Ramadan can be properly celebrated without killing Jews
Four Israelis slaughteredr, others in serious condition in Ramadan terror attack in central Tel Aviv.
A Liberal Decalogue:
Bertrand Russell's The Ten Commandments to teachers and other engaged mortals:
1. Do not feel absolutely certain of anything.
2. Do not think it worth while to proceed by concealing evidence, for the evidence is sure to come to light.
3. Never try to discourage thinking for you are sure to succeed.
4. When you meet with opposition, even if it should be from your husband or your children, endeavor to overcome it by argument and not by authority, for a victory dependent upon authority is unreal and illusory.
5. Have no respect for the authority of others, for there are always contrary authorities to be found.
6. Do not use power to suppress opinions you think pernicious, for if you do the opinions will suppress you.
7. Do not fear to be eccentric in opinion, for every opinion now accepted was once eccentric.
8. Find more pleasure in intelligent dissent than in passive agreement, for, if you value intelligence as you should, the former implies a deeper agreement than the latter.
9. Be scrupulously truthful, even if the truth is inconvenient, for it is more inconvenient when you try to conceal it.
10. Do not feel envious of the happiness of those who live in a fool’s paradise, for only a fool will think that it is happiness.
Now contrast it with this decalogue:
But I'm innocent ...
[NASRADDIN HODJA is a Turkish folk hero, whose life stories of humour and wit I heard from my mother at appropriate moments. Here is one story I remember. I will let my discerning reader to make the necessary connection:]
One day Nasraddin Hodja was arrested and brought before a judge, for stealing a horse.
Nasraddin, said the judge, whatever has come over you? Why did you steal that horse?
Nasraddin, wiping his tears, said with a quavering voice:
But I'm innocent, Your honour, completely innocent. I was walking down the street and I saw a rope lying on the ground. Just a piece of rope, lying there. I picked it up and took it with me. How wasI to know that the end of the rope was tied to a horse?
Obama and Fareed Zakaria bravely speak truth to power:
"ZAKARIA: Can you recall a time when a foreign head of government has done that? Is it appropriate for a foreign head of government to inject himself into an American debate?
OBAMA: .... I don’t recall a similar example. "
Ex. 1: Churchill making an effort to persuade US Congress to join UK in its war against the Nazis in 1941:
"If we had kept together after the last war, if we had taken common measures for our safety, this renewal of the curse need never have fallen upon us. Do we not owe it to ourselves, to our children, to tormented mankind, to make sure that these catastrophes do not engulf us for the third time?