Saturday, April 14, 2007

NogaNote:

Coffee

"I jumped in, explaining that the sort of coffee he’d asked for is indicative of coffee that’s been over-roasted, and though the beans look like what he thinks good coffee should look like, all black and oily, in fact, they’ve had all the subtleties incinerated out of them. Too dark a roast obliterates the soft chocolate tones of a Guatemala Medina, the intense blueberry hit of an Ethiopian Harrar…."


I feel somewhat vindicated in my choice of coffee taste which has always inclined towards “medium-roast”. Real manly men, like Johnny Bravo, seem to attach a certain significance to their liking a coffee that is dark-roast. As though a preference for drinking a coffee dark, bitter, sugarless and milkless is somehow indicative of a certain tough virility as well as continental connaisseurship... Well, I never had any pretensions for European elegance. It's all a myth, anyway. I have always liked my coffee medium roast and I have a preference for the way the Italians roast their coffee beans. But I always welcome new flavours, as long as they are not "dark roast". I am a coffee multiculturalist moderate: curious and respectful.

1 Comments:

At 1:36 AM EDT, Anonymous Anonymous said...

___________________________________

Well, I have never had any pretensions for European elegance.
___________________________________


????????


___________________________________

It's all a myth, anyway.
___________________________________


About the "bitter" part, it is.


___________________________________

I have a preference for the way the Italians roast their coffee beans.
___________________________________



Depending on which Italian.


Some Italins know how to roast the beans, some don't.


Just because one's a Chinese, doesn't necessarily mean he knows how to cook authenthic Chinese food. (Some of the worst Chinese food I've ever had were cooked by Chinese from mainland.)

___________________________________

...as long as they are not "dark roast".
___________________________________


If the beans are roasted by professionals who know what they are doing, and brewed right after (or within 24 hours), "dark roast" is delicious.

Try Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf Co, in CA, or Stump Roast Coffee in Portland, OR.

___________________________________

I am a coffee multiculturalist moderate: curious and respectful.
___________________________________


I am a coffee purist/connaisseur: No compromise for the quality, and preparation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home