Tuesday, October 26, 2010

"My name is Lauren Booth and I'm a Muslim"

From Hamastan to Islam - Allahu Akbar

I've written about Booth in the past.

Here is the latest youtube vid in which she announces her spiritual epiphany one night in an Islamic shrine in Iran, at the end of which she woke up a changed person and submitted to the joys of Islamitude.

In this article she explains a remarkable achievement:

"Now I don’t eat pork and I read the Koran every day. I’m on page 60. I also haven’t had a drink in 45 days, the longest period in 25 years,' she said.

'The strange thing is that since I decided to convert I haven’t wanted to touch alcohol, and I was someone who craved a glass of wine or two at the end of a day.’"

If you have the patience to watch the video you will notice that she crowns her speech by [re?] introducing herself to the crowds in the following way:

"My name is Lauren Booth and I'm a Muslim"

What's interesting is her impossibility to see the irony she epitomizes in anything she says. Clearly the most important aspect of her conversion, for her, thus far has been a newly-discovered ability to withstand the lures of alcohol. Alcohol is obviously paramount on her mind since she chooses to present herself in the words of someone attending Alcoholics Anonymous for the first time:

"My names is Such-and-such and I'm an alcoholic".

It's impossible not to notice that somewhere in her mind she associates being a Muslim with being an addict.

The mutual help group, AA, that tries to get alcoholics to withdraw from chronic alcohol consumption has its own codified set of rules, called The Twelve Steps.


  • admitting that one cannot control one's addiction or compulsion;
  • recognizing a greater power that can give strength;
  • examining past errors with the help of a sponsor (experienced member);
  • making amends for these errors;
  • learning to live a new life with a new code of behavior;
  • helping others that suffer from the same addictions or compulsions.
As we can hear from her description, she has already managed to fulfill some of those steps: She admits that she could not control her alcohol craving, she recognized a greater power that gives her strength, and she learns to live a new life according to new rules.

Let's wish Lauren Booth much success in her quest to battle her addictions.

8 Comments:

At 3:46 AM EDT, Blogger EscapeVelocity said...

I heard she is on page 60 of the Koran, already.

 
At 7:33 PM EDT, Anonymous WillJames said...

Apropos of nothing, and everything, Divided We Fall arrived today and I watched it tonight. I don't think I've ever seen a film go deeper into the horrors of the moral compromises that were forced on people when the Nazis turned the world upside down. What an extraordinary film.

Today was my final day of work for this season; I bid farewell to my last group this morning. On Tuesday I will be flying to Israel to attend the Honest Reporting conference. The days will be full but the evenings look fairly quiet. Divided We Fall seems like a suitable point of departure for further conversation about evil, n'est-ce pas?

 
At 9:10 PM EDT, Blogger The Contentious Centrist said...

I'm glad you finally got to see it, willjames. What I took away from that film was that even when the moral universe gets shrunk on people the way the Nazis succeeded so well in doing, it is still possible for human beings to make a moral choice. And the thing is, you can never know who will actually step up to the plate. Joseph was not exactly hero-material, was he, yet there he was, incapable of abandoning his old boss to his fate.

Where is the conference taking place? I hope you have a good time not all just instructive but also fun!

 
At 5:26 AM EDT, Blogger SnoopyTheGoon said...

Back to Lauren Booth: she is also remarkably stupid, as one could see from this episode:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1199075/Lauren-Booth-wrote-dumping-husband-Facebook-terrible-road-accident-mother-law-asks-Why-family.html

 
At 11:00 AM EDT, Anonymous WillJames said...

The venue that was chosen for the HR conference is the Inbal Hotel in Jerusalem, which looks like a posh 5-star palace. It will be a nice contrast to my earlier travels in Israel in the 70s which were more of the sleeping-bag-on-the-floor variety.

The group of attendees is small (20-25 people) and the line-up of presenters is very impressive, including people like Khaled Abu Toameh, Itamar Marcus, Mark Regev, Gerald Steinberg, Dore Gold, David Horvitz and a miscellany of generals, politicians and analysts. I'm looking forward to getting a real world view of people whom I know only from news articles and blogs.

Since "having a good time" is something I do professionally, I'm especially looking forward to the content and instruction, something I can sink my teeth into.

What could the Contentious Centrist possibly be up to next week that is more interesting than this? It doesn't begin until next Wed. and there are still places available. Manolo says: Great opportunity!

More info at willjames777@gmail.com

 
At 8:39 PM EDT, Blogger The Contentious Centrist said...

Would that I could, willjames. But the contentious centrist has a family and commitments and CC's household is in financial dire straits that do not allow for such great opportunities to materialize.

 
At 8:20 PM EDT, Anonymous WillJames said...

I figured that it was unlikely, but hoped that it might not be impossible. In any case, I'll share conference highlights with you as they unfold.

Sorry to hear about the dire straits. May there be smoother sailing and more expansive horizons just ahead...

 
At 8:32 PM EDT, Blogger The Contentious Centrist said...

Thanks, willjames.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home